Monday, April 23, 2012

ATMs and Weather

Hello All,





I will be traveling to Taipei near the end of January (arrive the 23rd). This will be my first trip outside of the US. I am very excited, but have a lot of questions.





How is the weather there and and recommendations on clothing?





Also, I am not sure if I should get some NTD money before arriving. I hear that there are a lot of ATMs everywhere, but just need to watch out for the charges. Can I use my Washington Mutual ATM card there and if so does anyone know about the charges? A friend recommended I get a Citibank account and get a ATM/Debit card to use in Taiwan. Any thoughts on that one? I know in the States Citibank has a agreement with the 7-11%26#39;s here that they don%26#39;t charge a fee for getting money. I wonder if its the same in Taiwan as well.





Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I am planning on staying at the Eight Elephants Hostel for a few nights. Has anyone stayed there?





Thanks in advance.



ATMs and Weather


HI CA!





I used my ATM card, issued by a Canadian bank. I had no trouble getting cash in Taipei, and I%26#39;ve seen no evidence of excessive charges. Depending on your bank, you%26#39;ll probably be nicked for a 2 1/2% commission on the exchange rate plus five dollars a pop to use the Chinese banking machine.





Before you start worrying about ATM charges, I%26#39;d find out how much your local bank will gouge you for just changing money at home over the counter. My experience is that local banks hit you for more in fees and commissions to change the money at home than you%26#39;d pay in ATM charges, such as special courier charges for bringing the New Taiwan Dollars to the door of the local bank.





Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!





David



capetien10@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment